Tuesday 10 January 2012

If you’re single and you know it clap your hands

So (obviously), I’m single. I have been for a long, with a brief relationship here and there, but nothing worth changing my Facebook status about. 
 
Being single isn’t a problem for me, it’s what I know and I enjoy it for the most part. I get to hang out with friends whenever, I get to spend time alone relaxing, I have less drama in my life and if the need arises, I hook up with a guy. I have solo dates, where I eat good food, have a glass of wine and listen to good music and enjoy my own company (and sometimes that of my cat). I go for long walks or drives and explore new places. I don’t need to worry about someone else’s feelings or whether they are enjoying themselves or eat sushi.

Don’t get me wrong, sometimes I miss having someone to share things with and spend time with. It’s nice to have someone you can lie in bed with listening to the rain or go to movies with. It’s nice to snuggle or just sit quietly knowing someone is nearby.

I am in my 30’s and apparently being single when you’re over 30 is not a good thing. Maybe it messes with some people’s view of the balance of the universe? Maybe it doesn’t fit in with societal norms or what was/is expected of women. Personally, I think that’s bullshit!

In the last few months, there has been a spate of fix up attempts by friends and acquaintances. Some people think that just because two people are single, they’ll get on. If that were the case, no one would be single. I have standards. A few are negotiable (like blonde or brunette), but most aren’t (like sense of humour, intelligence and height) – if they all were, again, I wouldn’t be single -I have kissed enough frogs to know what I deserve and to know what I do and don’t want. I must give people credit though, they do ask first whether and I am single and then why I’m single.

At the moment I’m finding most first conversations of 2012 going as follows, in this order…
1. “How was Knysna?”
2. “Did you meet any men?”.

My standard response is…
1. “Kynsna was great!”
2. “I was in Knysna… seriously? Men in Knysna?”

This is true, as far as I have seen, there aren’t many single guys in Knysna – it’s quite a couple destination. But secondly, I don’t go on holiday to find a man! I go to relax, spend time with my family and do fun stuff that I don’t do at home.

I really hope to one day meet that person who makes me want to choose them over my single lifestyle. Someone who makes me want to compromise and include them in everything. I’ve met guys that I would do this for but the timing is wrong, something goes wrong or I just wasn’t ready for commitment. This is going to sound really arrogant, but if there is someone good enough, then I’m all for jumping right in!  So until then, I will keep getting set up and keep meeting new guys because well, you just never know!  

No comments: