Thursday 19 July 2012

All these things that I’ve done


I was reminiscing the other day over a glass of wine (I think too many of my posts may start this way…). I was thinking about all the things I’ve done. I don’t mean all the serious stuff like start my very own cult and developing a vaccine against frizzy hair, I mean the fun stuff!

I bought tickets for Lady Gaga the other day and I am super excited! I also heard that the Red Hot Chili Peppers are negotiating a few shows here as part of their world tour… news that almost made me pee my pants since they are my ultimate band! I would sell a kidney to see them – but luckily I have a credit card and bond I could use instead.

So all that got me reminiscing about the concerts I have been to and it’s quite an eclectic list but they have all been fun! I think the first concert I went to was Paul Simon, the first international act to come to SA after the end of Apartheid. I was 14 and thought I was WAY too cool to be there with my parents, even if it was in a box…so embarrassing! the last one I went to was Kings of Leon and had an awesome night, though there are some blurry parts and I paid for it the next day!

I’ve seen rock acts like Metallica, Collective Soul, Goo Goo Dolls, Lenny Kravitz, INXS, Depeche Mode, Tracy Chapman and Spin Doctors, Violent Femmes (2 nights in a row – they take me back to my high school days), Counting Crows, REM, Midnight Oil, Indecent Obsession (we were in Std 7 and snuck in some wine a plastic juice bottle), Garbage, Placebo, Skunk Anansie, OMD (also with my parents) and The Killers.

Then there was the more ‘dancy’ stuff… Jamiroquai (where everyone including JK was smoking joints), Carl Cox, David Guetta, Avicii, Faithless, Prodigy, Fat Boy Slim and Basement Jaxx. There are more DJ’s that I saw during the ‘rave’ days, but I just can’t remember them…

There have been some other awesome acts like Michael Jackson and his incredible HIStory show! There was Rodriguez, whose music I adore but thought was dead because of the urban legends… imagine my excitement to see him live and in the flesh! Robbie Williams – another fantastic show and oh so sexy!! And then Pink, she rocked! Such a great stage presence and Drewski and I had so much fun (as usual)!

Then there were those like Kanye West… we were given free tickets, so why the hell not!? To be honest, when we got there, we weren’t even sure whether it was him onstage… it was quite a flat concert, not much atmosphere and I think we left before the end because we had (eventually) heard a song or two we knew and were bored.

Ah, Busta Rhymes… I was seeing a guy who was about 10 years older than me and kind of a hippy, but we had fun together. So we decided to go see Busta Rhymes who was playing at the Joburg Stadium. It was SO much fun! We stuck out like light beacons but that made it even better, we really got to let loose. It turned out I knew far more Busta Rhymes songs than I realised, even if a lot of them were collaborations. But we drank, we smoked and generally went a bit crazy, so all in all a great experience.

The day before my 30th birthday, a group of us went to CokeFest where we saw Kaiser Chiefs, Good Charlotte, Must and 30 Seconds to Mars (with Jared Leto was almost within touching distance). It was a great day and being a big birthday I went huge! I even went up to a boy I had being eyeing out and just kissed him - not something I am prone to doing, but with enough beer…he then semi-stalked me for a few weeks.

A couple years back as part of my BFF’s special birthday present treat, we ended a super fun day with the concert, featuring Snap, Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer. OMG!!! SO MUCH FUN!!! The crowd was our age and older, we knew all the songs, and we just went wild! Snap and Vanilla Ice totally rocked and it turns out that Vanilla Ice is really down to earth, friendly and entertaining (and he follows me on Twitter… whoop whoop!). MC Hammer is a chop. He thinks he’s the shit – he isn’t. He name drops, like a group of over 30 white people care whether he once spoke to Tupac and some other random people… anyway, because of his attitude, he really disappointed us. But other than that, it was awesome!!

Lately, I have been seeing a lot of live SA bands and we really have some great talent – Prime Circle, Lonehill Estate, Graeme Watkins Project, Flash Republic (seeing them on Saturday), Shadowclub, The Black Hotels… the list goes on…

So, next stop Lady Gaga and (hopefully) the Red Hot Chili Peppers!!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!

No comments: