Friday 4 May 2007

Jews for Jesus?

First off, WTF?? Am I the only one who finds this to be a very conflicting phrase? Surely you're either you’re Jewish or Christian? How can you be Jewish but believe in the New Testament and the (so-called) saviour/messiah? THIS DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!!!

Let me just say that I am not judging either of the religions and that I believe in neither. I am just trying to get my head around what I see as the one of the hugest contradictions I have come across in a while.

Ok, so they are Jewish people who believe in and worship Jesus. Does this not make them Christians? Would calling yourself a “Jew for Jesus” then be a clever branding tool? Is it your way of not being Jewish but letting people know it’s ok to change your religion (should you be Jewish)? Can people who covert to Judaism then be called “Christians no longer for Jesus”?

From what I understand as well, they get to ‘celebrate’ the Jewish holidays as well! So you kind of get the best of both? Christmas and Hanukkah, Passover and Easter… what a pleasure!

I also had a look at the website (they advertise on bus stops in Sandton) and it really doesn’t answer my questions. But something I found most entertaining (or strange)… naturally they sell stuff, such as books, T-shirts etc. One book caught my eye….

Betrayed! by Stan Telchin
What's the worst thing that can happen to a successful Jewish businessman? Perhaps it's a phone call from his college-age daughter, telling him she now believes in Jesus. A loving father embarks on a quest to reclaim his "lost" daughter, and in the process, finds his Messiah.
"Few testimony books have presented the case for Jesus to the Jewish people as powerfully. This is a must-read." - Moishe Rosen, founder, Jews for Jesus.”

When I read this, it seems that ‘finding the messiah’ is the equivalent to telling your parents that you are actually a man trapped in a woman’s body and will be having gender reassignment surgery, in time to be ready for the big family Christmas lunch. I don’t think they though about all the possibilities….

And can I just add that there are no good looking people on the website. I have also had the pleasure of driving home from gym behind a person who advertises Jews for Jesus (I assume he is a missionary) and it was excruciating! Took me an extra 10 minutes to get home!

I am still confused.

1 comment:

Shugapaige said...

this is news to me... never heart/saw Jews for Jesus - will go investigate a bit... fanks for the heads up!