Friday 18 May 2007

People are insane!

I know this post is a bit late, but things have been HECTIC! Finally, some down time... and almost time for a quick drink in the pub!

Yesterday morning, I had to be at work just after 6am. Being almost winter, this is a time when the sun is not up yet and it is still rather chilly. I drove to work with 2 jackets and a scarf on, with a cup of coffee. I was also wearing my night driving glasses! Can you imagine?!

Waiting to cross William Nicol into Sandton Drive, I saw a very bizarre sight, made more bizarre by the fact that I am NOT a morning person and was still trying to wake up properly. Down Sandton Drive came a swarm of small flashing white lights....

Turns out it was some sort of cycling club taking a bit of a morning bike ride. There were about 30 of them all turning into William Nicol with flashing lights on their heads. Weird man!! They were like a swarm of fireflies on bikes.

What would possess someone to get on a bike at that ridiculous hour and go cycling around Joburg? I could almost understand doing it in summer, but not before sunrise in winter! WTF?? I have promised to ride the 94.7 this year (I'm taking bets about whether i actually will do it and actually finish it) and i can tell you that you would never catch me on a bike that early, in the dark, going for a casual training ride around the city!

Absolute madness i tell you!!

4 comments:

phillygirl said...

My bet is on you a) not doing it .. .and if you do, b) not finishing it.
:) Nice to have supportive friends, huh ?

Louisa said...

That's crazy! Did you take a photo of the fireflies on wheels? I'd have loved to see that. :-)

Phlippy said...

Hahahahaha - people in bamboo houses should NOT throw pandas! Jesus said that

WhizBangLouLou said...

Philliygirl - hahaha! Thanks for ALL your support, though i have to admit, there is money to be made :)

Louisa - i was too asleep and surprised to take a pic! wish i had though...

Phillipy - i never claim to throw any type of furry mammal... but what shouldn't you throw in a brick house? bet you're part of the firefly team huh?