Wednesday 20 June 2007

Damn traffic fines...

I am busy at the moment, writing a letter to the JHB Metro Police to contest a fine they gave me. I’m not saying it wasn’t me or that I wasn’t speeding, I’m saying they got the address wrong. I was not speeding where they said I was, so I'm not paying for it! It is quite a delicate process, this letter writing…. I don’t want to get cheeky or sound too intelligent or ‘legal’ but still want to get my point across which is “If you want my money, get it right or kiss my ass!”

I have also come across an article about the changes that are going to be made to the traffic fine system. I have noticed the giant roadblocks that have been set up lately, that close off 3 of 4 lanes on main roads in Sandton, creating pure mayhem. Apparently, they can pull you over, you can pay fines there (or be arrested), they can issue warrants of arrest and check all your details. They even have plate recognition machines!

Luckily I have a new car, so they won’t recognise the number plate. If I could just get a new ID number, I’d be home free!

I have noticed lately that there are a lot more cops on the roads. There is someone sitting permanently (well, I’m not sure about nights) on Sandton Drive. They have an area cleared out, a stool and a plastic bag there. But what I don’t understand is that they sit there trying to trap in morning peak hour traffic. This is the traffic that traditionally doesn’t move much and you sit bumper to bumper? How do you speed, especially over 70kms an hour? I suppose you could wait for all the traffic to move forward and leave an open stretch and then floor it, but you probably still wouldn’t be worthy of a fine. But if it makes the cops feel better just being there, then so be it.

They are also installing a lot more permanent cameras, at traffic lights. Gone are the days (early mornings) of light-jumping. I do find these cameras very entertaining though. I find it immensely amusing to see someone go speeding through and the camera flashing. It’s especially funny if the camera has been there forever and most people know about it, like the one on Sandton Drive or the one at Brightwater Commons.

From now on I am going to drive at a reasonable speed and try my best not to get any fines in the next few months. It’s just too difficult to talk my way out of them….

1 comment:

Shugapaige said...

Congrats on the new car... photo's!!!!!