Monday 23 April 2007

How to go about the pickup - for the girls

I’ve touched on what men need to not do, but there is always a flip side! Girls…. We’ve all been guilty of a couple of these little mistakes….

1. Never talk about marriage and kids when attempting to pick up a man! This makes them very nervous! The thought of meeting someone who is already inserting them into wedding pictures and family albums may be too much for a man to handle, they are quite delicate sometimes. They see their futures flashing before their eyes and it includes something close to incarceration.

2. Don’t talk about your ex. It just sounds bad. Either you come across as bitter or not over him. Men don’t like competition, perceived or otherwise.

3. Another thing to try is not scare him away with talk of your “Rabbit” and how you like whips and chains… again, they get very scared and everything shrinks. They are easily intimidated.

4. And here’s a toughy…. Never let on that you’re very intelligent but at the same time don’t dumb it down too much… The way to tell whether it’s working or not is to watch for the tell-tale glazed look (in their eyes). That is the time to drop in a comment such as “What do you think of the Bulls front line? Perhaps they should move (insert front line players name) to (insert different position)? Or “Do you think that Graeme Smith should be moved further down the batting order?” This will get them back…. And you back in the player’s seat.

5. And finally, play hard to get, but not too hard! Some challenge is good, but you don’t want to come off looking like a stuck up bitch. Unless he deserves it or pulls any of the moves mentioned in the previous post. Then he deserves it!

I can’t be 100% sure if these are fool proof, because when we think it’s figured out, they change (only slightly). They get girlier and more sensitive. They may break into sobs for no good reason…. You never can tell!

But good luck anyway! I say a crying man is no good and worth running from, who needs the extra oestrogen? We have more than enough of our own! And if he passes up on your utter fabulousness, he wasn’t worth it anyway!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Never talk about marriage and kids when attempting to pick up a man!

Whoa. For a minute there I thought you were saying that women shouldn't talk about THEIR marriage and kids if they wanted to pickup men. Yeah, it would put a damper on things.

They see their futures flashing before their eyes and it includes something close to incarceration.

Well, that plus the fact that women who want to take things too fast might be a little bit crazy. I don't want to have my car keyed because I ended things after the first date.

Don’t talk about your ex.

Yes, that's true. I really don't want a lot of negativity (if you feel angry about him), or hear that you're still in love with him.

...Men don’t like competition, perceived or otherwise.

Or it could just be that men don't like negativity or hearing that your interests lie elsewhere.

Another thing to try is not scare him away with talk of your “Rabbit” and how you like whips and chains… again, they get very scared and everything shrinks. They are easily intimidated.

Well, unless his name is Marv Albert. Anyway, I would expect 90+% of women to be scared away by a man talking about sex toys, whips, and chains.

And here’s a toughy…. Never let on that you’re very intelligent but at the same time don’t dumb it down too much…

Actually, I like smart women. My last girlfriend had a 4.0 in high school and college. On the other hand, talking about sports is going to lose me. Personally, I've never lost interest in a girl because she was too smart, but I have definitely lost interest in girls for being too dumb. Exceptions to every rule, I guess.

And finally, play hard to get, but not too hard!

I don't know. Something about this seems very 1950ish. It depends on the guy whether this will work or not. I think "playing hard to get" might make you more attractive to guys who are always picking up girls. My own feeling is that I like you or I don't. If a girl plays hard to get, I think maybe she's more interested in being pursued than being with me. Maybe this is a hint that there's going to be power struggles in any relationship with her, and I hate that. Further, there's always the possibility that a girl "playing hard to get" isn't interested in me, but doesn't know how to come out and say it. Thus, there's a very real possibility that I'd simply walk away because I think a girl playing hard to get is actually just a girl who wants to say "no" to me, doesn't know how.

I can’t be 100% sure if these are fool proof, because when we think it’s figured out, they change (only slightly).

That's not because men are changing, it's because generalized rules about men don't work consistently because all men are different. I've found the same thing to be true of women.