Tuesday 17 April 2007

Rule No. 2

Hitting on a friends ex.

You don’t hit on a friend’s ex. I learnt this one the hard way. It almost broke up a friendship. If the guy has ever been mentioned in conversation, as an ex or ‘someone I had a fling with’ etc, he is off limits even if they only dated for a short time. If they dated for a long time, they are DEFINITELY off limits!

It is a bit touch and go when a friend says I’m over ‘Mr Fling’. This could be a friend just saying that because she feels it’s the right thing to say. But you can never be sure whether she really means it. I think it’s best just to stay away.

My problem with this rule stems back to my high school days. My best friend, Thelma, and I used to share exes. Once it was over, they were fair game. I later found out this was a unique situation! Good times! … sigh….

Personally, if a friend wants to date F*ck face, who I dated last year, then fine, it’s your problem and you have my sympathy! But, if a friend wanted to or did hook up with 1st love, I would probably be rather upset. Even though it was years ago, it would still not be cool!

It also depends on the friend. If it is someone who is very sensitive and views all relationships as important, then again, I say stay away. If it’s someone who doesn’t invest emotionally and who doesn’t really care, then you could probably go ahead.

I think this is a pool that needs to be dipped in at your own risk!

3 comments:

phillygirl said...

Pahahahaha. Too true. Weird how certain ex-boyfs are off limits forever and others are fair game ... I guess just the way of the world. I wonder if boys are the same about ex-boyfs ;)

WhizBangLouLou said...

From what i can tell, boys don't mind if other boys go for their ex boyfriends....

Shugapaige said...

in comes the phrase.. 'who want sloppy seconds anyways??'

and why would you want to date your best friends' ex - there is a VERY good reason why she left him....